Job Title: Graphic and Marketing Designer
Type: part time (3 days weekly)
Start Date: June 15, 2021
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Location: 2200 Yonge Street, Suite 1600, Toronto
The Canadian Foundation for AIDS Research (CANFAR) was founded in 1987 and aims to end Canada’s HIV epidemic by leading national strategies to increase prevention, testing, treatment, and linkage to care, and to end HIV stigma.
Fueled by fundraising, CANFAR supports research, builds awareness, and cultivates partnerships.
Over the past three decades, CANFAR has raised and invested more than $24 million in close to 500 grants to HIV/AIDS research projects that have led to tremendous breakthroughs in HIV prevention, testing, access to treatment, stigma, and the search for a cure. In addition, CANFAR annually reaches thousands of Canadian youth and educators through its national youth HIV awareness programs.
CANFAR requires the work of an experienced graphic and marketing designer who is looking for an opportunity to expand their graphic design and marketing experience while making a meaningful contribution in the non-profit sector.
Role Overview and Tasks
The incumbent will work on the design of print and digital content for all CANFAR departments which include brand collateral, fundraising events, and awareness
Materials include traditional and digital marketing campaigns, digital annual reports, branding of CANFAR events and new initiatives, fundraising event collateral (invitations, signage and branding tools), email marketing, website updates and the development of the online silent auction platform.
The incumbent will adhere to the branding and overall design themes of CANFAR and work within the creative parameters established by past design work as outlined in CANFAR’s graphic standards.
Provide creative input and generate ideas to further develop/enhance CANFAR’s brand in a professional manner and in line with industry standards.
Participate in the creation of content and design management of the social media calendar
• Manage the communication with the external information technology company to problem-solve issues as they arise for all staff.
• Manage the communication for print deliverables with the external printing company.
• Manage the communication with the external marketing company for social media campaigns.
• Manage the communication with the external online silent auction company.
Experience and Qualifications
• Minimum of 3 years’ work experience in graphic design; preference given to in-house experience.
• Post-secondary education in Graphic Design and/or related field.
• Advanced skills in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat)
• Proficient in finalizing projects for print production, with working knowledge of bleed and cut lines.
• Experience with Wordpress and basic knowledge of HTML and CSS
• Experience with producing and scheduling content for social media platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter, etc.
• Experience with HTML mailing development and templates such as Constant Contact and Mailchimp is an asset
• General knowledge of computer systems for troubleshooting is considered an asset
• Experience editing videos is an asset.
• Excellent file management and organizational skills
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written)
• Excellent problem solving and multi-tasking skills
• Bilingualism (French/English) is considered an asset
• An interest in the HIV/ AIDS cause
Equal Opportunity Employer
CANFAR is an equal opportunity employer and employs personnel without discrimination to race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status or disability.
3 (Three) month probation period
Confidentiality and Discretion
Must adhere to CANFAR’s Confidentiality Agreement. The incumbent must maintain the confidentiality of all CANFAR’s and donor information and must no discuss such matters outside of CANFAR. Tact and discretion must be used in all dealings with all customers/donors to maintain the positive image of CANFAR.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this position will require the incumbent to have the ability of working both remotely from home and at the CANFAR’s office location is 2200 Yonge Street, Suite 1600, Toronto, ON, when required.
Please send your resume, cover letter, and portfolio to Alex Filiatrault, afilitrault@CANFAR.com, with the subject line “Coordinator, Marketing and Graphic Design” by May 28th, 2021.
Position Type: Program Coordinator – Summer Position
Salary: $18.00/hr, 32 hrs/week
Term: 8 weeks
Start Date: June 7, 2021
End Date: July 30, 2021
Reports to: Director of National Awareness Programs
The Canadian Foundation for AIDS Research (CANFAR) was founded in 1987 and aims to end Canada’s HIV epidemic by leading national strategies to increase prevention, testing, and linkage to care, and to end HIV stigma. Fueled by fundraising, CANFAR supports research, builds awareness and cultivates partnerships. Over the past three decades, CANFAR has invested more than $22 million dollars into innovative HIV/AIDS research projects across the country that have led to tremendous breakthroughs in HIV prevention, testing, treatment, care, and the search for a cure.
Annually, CANFAR reaches thousands of Canadian youth and educators through its national youth awareness program. Since 1993, CANFAR has distributed free educational materials to secondary school teachers to prevent HIV among youth and empower young people to make safer and healthier decisions around their health and well-being. CANFAR’s educational resources have been used in schools in every province and territory. CANFAR’s national youth awareness program continues to build on over 25 years of success in providing youth across the country with free and accessible resources on HIV prevention and education.
Under the supervision of the Director of National Awareness Programs, the Youth Awareness Program Coordinator will support CANFAR’s youth-focused educational program by assisting with program planning and development, report writing and data analysis, youth outreach and engagement, knowledge translation, and national partnership-building.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Director of National Awareness Programs, the Youth Awareness Program Coordinator will be responsible for:
• Assisting in the design and development of the new sections of our youth digital platform, SEXFLUENT, on substance use and mental health
• Assisting with content development and copywriting, blog post solicitation, social media ideation and post drafting, and other distribution and scaling efforts
• Researching outreach, promotion and partnership opportunities with community organizations working with Indigenous youth, LGBTQIA2S youth, and street-involved youth on HIV prevention and education to increase the program’s reach and impact nationally
• Working with Director of National Awareness Programs to maintain correspondence with key national partners in CANFAR’s national youth awareness program
• Assisting in conducting consultations and/or focus groups with youth participants to better understand and respond to their needs, and to inform CANFAR’s youth digital platform development and growth
• Coordinating university and college campus outreach to establish national networks of CANFAR Clubs, and assist with development of Program
• Bachelor’s degree, certificate or equivalent in Public Health or Global Health, International Development Studies and/or Community Development, Sociology, Women’s and Gender Studies, Sexual Diversity Studies, Social Work, or a related field.
• 1-3 years of experience working in a not-for-profit environment
• 1-3 years of experience working in youth engagement and/or educational programming
• Demonstrated understanding of HIV/AIDS and associated issues relevant to CANFAR’s mission
• Strong communications skills, both verbal and written with proven experience in report writing
• Strong critical thinking and analytic skills
• Ability to prioritize, problem solve, and self-manage, while working collaboratively with others in a fast-paced environment
• Fluency in French (oral and written) an asset
• Genuine interest in supporting social causes, youth engagement, education, community development, and relationship-building.
This position is funded through the Canada Summer Jobs program. As a result, in order to be considered for this position, applicants must be between the ages of 15 and 30 at the start of employment, a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, and legally entitled to work. For more information on eligibility, please visit: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/funding/canada-summer-jobs/screening-eligibility.html and consult the section “What youth participants are eligible.”
CANFAR is committed to employment equity and believes that youth play a key role in innovation, de-stigmatization, networking, community engagement, and design to inform our educational programming targeted at youth. As such, we encourage applications from youth with culturally diverse backgrounds and youth of all gender identities and sexual orientations. CANFAR also recognizes the need for experience, knowledge, and guidance from communities disproportionately impacted by HIV, including those with lived experience or living with HIV.
Deadline for applications: May 31, 2020 5:00 PM EST
Please submit your resume and cover letter to: awareness@CANFAR.com.
Please include the ‘Job Title’ in the subject line.
We thank all applicants; however only those selected for interviews will be contacted.