Assistant Manager of Finance and Operations
Employment: Full Time
Start Date: January 26, 2021
Salary Range: $47,200 – $50,200 depending on qualifications.
Reports to: VP of Finance and Operations
Location: CANFAR, 1600 – 2200 Yonge St, Toronto, Ontario. Due to COVID protocols, work remotely with 1-2 days in the office each week as required.
CANFAR’s mission is the end the HIV/AIDS epidemic in Canada by funding innovative research and awareness programs focused on increasing prevention, increasing testing, improving treatment and care, and ending HIV/AIDS stigma. Over its 30-year history, CANFAR has invested more than $22 million and awarded more than 500 grants across Canada in research addressing all aspects of HIV/AIDS.
Reporting to the VP of Finance and Operations, the Assistant Finance Manager is responsible for:
- Financial Edge for Accounting, and Management Reports
- Donors: Raisers Edge – Enter constituent data; update data
- Donations: process all types of donations, generate receipts with thank you letters. Knowledge of CRA tax receipting guidelines, and a high level of attention to detail is required.
- Banking: deposits and work with CMO web site
- Process invoices and payments using Financial Edge
- Team player – small dynamic team with diverse opportunities
- Assist in direct mail and email campaigns – mailing list queries.
- Events: support all aspects of CANFAR events
- Office: maintain office supplies and Oxford Properties liaison
- Applicant will be required to go to the office weekly
Gift Processing and Receipting
- Enter gifts into Raiser’s Edge database system. This involves accurate data entry skills, an understanding of the CRA guidelines with respect to charitable receipting and eligibility.
- Prepare and reconcile bank deposits as well as iATS transactions.
- Run regular deposit query and report same
- Import data from online donation pages using upload utility, import online gifts through third party websites such as Canada Helps.
- Process all forms of gifts, ranging from depositing cheques, processing online donations, monthly Credit Card and PACH donations and over the phone donations.
- File gift documentation, ensuring completeness of records for audit purposes.
- Execute weekly thank-you and tax receipt correspondence.
- On a monthly basis, run all monthly donations and assist with reports.
- Manage and ensure the accuracy of pledges.
- Assist in the management of Legacy Membership program: run reports on expired memberships, update membership payments and renewals.
Donor Records Management
- Support data management needs for Annual Programs, including exporting mail files for mailings, appeal, and constituent coding.
- Remove duplicate constituents and merge donor records when necessary.
- Manage data collection for declined or expired credit cards.
- When mail is returned, make efforts to obtain updated information through research and outreach to donor.
- Liaise with staff and volunteers to stuff and mail receipts and letters.
- Manage biographical donor data such as address changes, deceased data, email consent, mailing preferences and provide notifications as appropriate to staff.
- Train new staff to ensure understanding of our database structure, coding, and procedures.
- Serve as a courteous touch point for internal and external customers with questions about giving, their gift transactions, pledge payments/issues.
- Accounts Payable –Create cheque and EFT payments weekly.
- Accounts Payable – pay credit card bills online. Reconcile visa receipts in FE.
- Support our annual audit by supplying auditor with back up documentation as requested.
- Liaise with bookkeeper and accountant to manage reconciliation and accounting processes.
- Manage all the office contracts and equipment leasing.
- Events – assist with financials leading up to events. Ticketing for signature events including online processing, invoicing, and reporting.
- Assist in annual audit preparation.
- Assist in annual budget preparation.
- Be the first point of contact on phones.
- Manage online communication platforms, such as Slack and Zoom.
- Daily distribution of mail, unsubscribe to unwanted mail, and change/update addresses.
- Manage office and kitchen supplies.
- Assist with setting up and coordinating meetings.
- Manage travel accommodations – i.e., book flights, taxi chits, tokens.
- Coordinate item deliveries and pick-ups.
- Assist at CANFAR events as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Requisite Skills and Attributes
- Proficiency in Raiser’s Edge, Financial Edge, and Microsoft Office 365
- Experience with online donation processing platforms is required.
- Pleasant phone and in-person demeanor
- Takes initiative to problem solve and liaise with colleagues for information required to perform duties.
- Highly adaptable, and flexible, able to prioritize and work comfortably as a member of a small but nimble team.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide group of collaborators, including proactive sharing of information.
- Minimum two years’ experience working in a similar role.
During COVID pandemic, work from home and required to go to the office weekly to prepare cheques, make deposits, manage incoming and out-going mail and other duties that may arise. CANFAR’s general working hours are Monday through Friday from 9:00am to 5:00pm.
Equal Opportunity Employer
CANFAR is an equal opportunity employer and employs personnel without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, color, ethnic origin, language, citizenship, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, HIV status, physical and/or mental handicap or financial ability.
- 3 (Three) month probation period.
Confidentiality and Discretion
Must adhere to CANFAR’s Confidentiality Agreement. The incumbent must maintain the confidentiality of all CANFAR’s and donor information and must no discuss such matters outside of CANFAR. Tact and discretion must be used in all dealings with all customers/donors to maintain the positive image of CANFAR.
Please send cover letter and application to: email@example.com
Please note that as the COVID pandemic persists, this position requires that the successful applicant work at the CANFAR office. All public health measures have been taken in the office.