Job Title: Manager of Marketing and Public Relations
Reporting to: President and Chief Operating Officer
Commencement: January, 2018
Salary: $40,000 - $60,000 (salary band 2)
We are seeking a seasoned public relations specialist to join The Canadian Foundation for AIDS Research (CANFAR) as Manager of Marketing and Public Relations. CANFAR is a national charity headquartered in Toronto. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated ability to plan, execute and maintain all aspects of an integrated communications program targeting CANFAR’s constituents, supporters and the public at large.
The successful candidate will be a creative communicator with a track record of developing powerful written materials for editorial, fundraising and public consumption. He/she will be as comfortable maintaining robust engagement with CANFAR's diverse community of supporters through social media, as he/she will be with conducting traditional and online media interviews or directing the development of print materials. The Coordinator of Graphic Design reports to the Manager of Marketing and Public Relations.
The Canadian Foundation for AIDS Research (CANFAR) is the only national charitable foundation that raises awareness to generate funds for research into all aspects of HIV infection and AIDS. Our team is nimble, dynamic and purpose driven. We are stronger as an organization as a result of the individual contributions of our diverse team members. Accordingly, we welcome applications from qualified individuals who may further contribute to the diversification of our team.
- Develop a strategic public relations and brand position plan for CANFAR, built upon CANFARs aspirations, capacity, past experience and market position. This plan will sustain and enhance CANFAR’s reputation in the HIV and AIDS sector in particular, and more broadly in the charitable sector.
- Oversees the recruitment, and stewardship of CANFAR ambassadors.
- Develop customized identities for CANFAR flagship fundraising events, Development’s fundraising campaigns, as well as materials for CANFAR’s Awareness Program.
- Enhance the current visual identity of CANFAR's PR and marketing materials, as it pertains to fundraising events and campaigns and CANFAR’s Awareness Program with the support of the Coordinator of Graphic Design.
- Develop a strategic approach to maximizing print and publication efficiency through the selection of preferred print partners.
- Establish a multiyear plan for all public relations materials, that will include a “strong” fundraising component.
- Provides input into the development of the marketing and communications budget, and oversees fund centres for public relations and design.
- Manage, cultivate high level partnership relationships with public relations firms, including those firms which have provided CANFAR with pro bono services.
- Manage the Foundation’s website and provide hands-on direction to the team responsible for the content management on CANFAR's website.
- Manage and grow CANFAR’s social media program (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc..) to engage multiple stakeholder communities.
- Working in partnership with CANFAR’s PR Agency, develop and implement a PR strategy seeking high level placements in print, broadcast and online media; leverage existing media relationships and cultivate new contacts within business, health, social and industry media.
- Create content for press releases, bylined articles and keynote presentations; prepare written materials on behalf of CANFAR, its Chair, and President. This will/may include, newsletters, board updates, accountability documents, and PR partnership agreements.
- Is an active member of the team responsible for strategic initiatives, and reputation management.
- Build relationships with thought leaders to grow industry awareness, and maintain a keen understanding of industry trends potentially affecting CANFAR.
- Is responsible for understanding all aspects of the rules and regulations which govern not for profit organizations, and ensures that all actions and communications accurately reflect CANFARs adherence to Canadian Revenue Agency standards, as well as those of the Association of Fund Raising Professionals (AFP) and the PIPEDA Act.
- Monitor, analyze and communicate PR results on a quarterly basis.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills.
- Ability to manage a complex schedule, and prioritize projects while maintaining rigid deadlines.
- Proven work experience in public relations and designing and executing a successful public relations programs and campaigns at both a local and national level.
- Demonstrated experience in media relations.
- Experience in managing staff responsible for publications and design; candidates are encouraged to provide examples of proposals or design materials.
- Proficiency with social media including blogs, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Experience/aptitude in acting as a company spokesperson; comfortable and skilled in both broadcast and print media interviews.
- Experience in effective PR in support of events.
- Experience in fundraising environment, or the production of sales materials an asset.
- Experience working in a not for profit environment an asset.
- BA/MA degree in Public Relations, Communications or Marketing or a related discipline.
Applications are due by January 19th, 2018.
To apply please send your Cover Letter and Resume to careers@CANFAR.com with the subject line: Manager of Marketing and Public Relations.